- Search for the Queen of Hearts is an approved weekly progressive raffle governed by the Constitution and Statutes of the Benevolent and Protective Order of ELKS of the U.S.A. and the Florida Statutes on Gambling Chapter 849.
- To begin, 54 playing cards including two jokers are placed in sealed envelopes, face down on a mounting board purchased from a certified gaming vendor; the envelopes are numbered one (1) through fifty four (54). The game board will be displayed and sealed in the Social Quarters, with the QUEEN OF HEARTS as the “Jackpot Card”.
- Any good standing member of the ELKS is eligible to play. A current membership card must be shown in order to purchase tickets.
- Tickets are $1.00 per chance, $5 for six chances, or $20 for 25 chances, with no limit on the number of tickets purchased. There can be more than one name per ticket, as long as all names listed are Elks in good standing. Write your name and the number of the available card you’re requesting (in case you’re not present; otherwise, a card will be selected for you) legibly on the back of the ticket and return it to the bartender. Do not write nicknames or abbreviations. Tickets can be purchased immediately after the drawing up to 15 minutes before the time of the next drawing, currently a 6:45 pm Wednesday cutoff.
- The first drawing was held Friday, October 20, 2017 at 7:00 pm. Beginning in 2018, the drawing will be each Wednesday (unless otherwise posted) at 7:00 pm. One ticket is drawn each week from all tickets sold that week to determine who wins the opportunity to “Search for the Queen of Hearts” playing card. Ticket holder need not be present to win. Queen of Hearts chairperson will ask a volunteer to turn over a card on your behalf if you did not identify which number card you requested, or if the number you requested was previously selected. Remember that there is a new drawing every week. This means that after the drawing, the non-winning tickets are thrown away. As the weeks go by, the pot grows bigger and bigger. Also, there will be less and less cards to choose from which increases the odds of finding the Queen of Hearts.
- The prize pool begin at 500 pieces of the Queen’s treasure. The total prize pool will continue to accumulate weekly (after the initial 500 is recouped) until the QUEEN OF HEARTS is drawn. The jackpot amount, based on ticket sales, will be updated daily and prominently displayed in the Social Quarters.
- If your name is drawn, you choose a card. Each winner shall select one sealed facedown playing card; if that playing card is the Queen of Hearts the holder of the winning raffle ticket shall be awarded 60% (40% if NOT Present) of the Grand Prize Pool. Forty percent of the winning jackpot amount will go to the ELKS Vero Beach Lodge 1774. If the QUEEN OF HEARTS is not drawn the winning payouts of the Queen’s treasure are the following:
All cards 2-10, Any Suit = Wins 10
All Face Cards except the Queens = Wins 20
Any Ace = Wins 5
Each Joker = Wins 50
All Queens, other than the Queen of Hearts = Wins 100
Queen of Hearts = 60% (40% NOT Present) of Grand Prize Pool.
Jackpot will be calculated prior to the Drawing and adjusted after the Drawing to account for prizes awarded during weekly play.
If a person is not present, they can designate a card number on their ticket or a card will be drawn randomly.
- Once a card is selected, it will be removed from play by drawing a diagonal line on the card’s face and placing the card face up on the board. Each week after the drawing, all tickets for that week’s drawing will be destroyed.
- All winning players are responsible for any and all taxes. A W2-G (1099) will be issued for prizes over 600. NO prize over 600 will be paid until the W2-G information is completely filled out. If a player is unwilling or unable to provide W2-G information, the prize will revert to the club.
- The winner must provide photo identification and a valid Elks membership card. Taxes will be assessed on any prize over 5,000 and remitted to the IRS. A winner from an out of state lodge may also have state taxes withheld in accordance with the laws of his or her state.
- The proceeds from the current week’s sales will not be included in the current week’s jackpot. If the queen of hearts is not selected in the current week’s drawing, then the current week’s sales will be split 60-40 as described in section 7 above. However, if the Queen of Hearts is drawn, then 100% of that week’s sales will be used to fund the new jackpot. Donations to the Lodge charity account will be suspended for that week.